Britain will not change its backing of the 2015 deal on Iran's nuclear programme under new Prime Minister Boris Johnson, a British diplomatic source said Friday, a day ahead of a G7 summit where the Iranian atomic drive is set to be a major sticking point.
"We are strong supporters" of the nuclear deal, said the official, asking not to be named. "I don't think you will find any change in the British government position."
Johnson is expected at the G7 in Biarritz to hold talks with US President Donald Trump, who pulled out of the landmark accord last year.
Trump and Johnson have a strong personal rapport and the British premier, who took office last month, has emphasised the importance of close relations with the United States as Britain prepares to leave the European Union.
But the British official said the nuclear deal, which Britain helped negotiate, is important to ensure that Iran never obtains an atomic weapon. Tehran insists its nuclear programme is peaceful.
"It is important that it (the deal) continues," the official said.
"I think on this issue there is a sort of expectation that we are going to have a meeting with the American president and our position will change. But our position on Iran is well known."
If the US president has other ideas "we are very happy to talk about them", the official said, adding that for now the nuclear deal was the "best way" of preventing Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon.
French President Emmanuel Macron, who will from Saturday chair the three-day G7 summit, was on Friday due to meet Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif in Paris.
Macron admitted in comments Wednesday that there were "true disagreements" within the G7 over Iran but said he would "try to propose things" in the talks with Zarif.
Related Links
Learn about nuclear weapons doctrine and defense at SpaceWar.com
Learn about missile defense at SpaceWar.com
All about missiles at SpaceWar.com
Learn about the Superpowers of the 21st Century at SpaceWar.com
Thanks for being here; We need your help. The SpaceDaily news network continues to grow but revenues have never been harder to maintain. With the rise of Ad Blockers, and Facebook - our traditional revenue sources via quality network advertising continues to decline. And unlike so many other news sites, we don't have a paywall - with those annoying usernames and passwords. Our news coverage takes time and effort to publish 365 days a year. If you find our news sites informative and useful then please consider becoming a regular supporter or for now make a one off contribution. |
||
SpaceDaily Contributor $5 Billed Once credit card or paypal |
SpaceDaily Monthly Supporter $5 Billed Monthly paypal only |
US and Russia trade barbs at UN over 'new arms race'
United Nations, United States (AFP) Aug 22, 2019
Russia and the US traded accusations at the United Nations Thursday of risking a new arms race as China said it would play no part in any new missile deal. The United States and Moscow ditched the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces (INF) treaty after blaming each other for violating the accord. Deputy Russian Ambassador to the United Nations Dmitry Polyanskiy told the Security Council that Washington's testing of a ground-launched missile earlier this week showed "America is ready for an arms rac ... read more
from Military Space News, Nuclear Weapons, Missile Defense https://ift.tt/30K2G9n
via space News
No comments: