As NKorea threat grows, US plans next anti-ICBM test in 2018

The US military will follow up its experimental shoot-down of an intercontinental ballistic missile by firing two interceptors simultaneously at an incoming dummy warhead in a "real world" test next year, a Pentagon official said Wednesday.

The high-tech, extremely costly tests of US missile defenses come as North Korea continues to push ahead with development of potentially nuclear-tipped ICBMs.

Wednesday's first-ever success at knocking a mock-up ICBM out of the sky as it headed toward the United States was called a "critical milestone" in firming up the country's missile defenses.

But, with only 44 of the expensive ground-based interceptor missiles expected to be in service at the end of this year, the next test will not take place until late 2018, Vice Admiral Jim Syring, director of the Missile Defense Agency, said.

"We want to exercise the GMD (ground-based missile defense) system with more than one interceptor to gather data," Syring said in a Pentagon press briefing.

Shooting two interceptor missiles at one incoming ICBM target would help understand what the second one does after the first destroys the target, he said.

This scenario is "the next step in ever increasing operational realism," he told journalists.

Tuesday's successful test saw an interceptor missile blast into space from Vandenberg Air Force Base in California and then deploy its "exo-atmospheric kill vehicle," which smashed into the dummy ICBM, destroying it.

The US military describes the interception as akin to hitting a bullet with another bullet -- though at far higher speeds.

Syring said after the test that it "demonstrates that we have a capable, credible deterrent against a very real threat."

- North Korea threat -

The missile defense trial came a day after North Korea test-fired yet another ballistic missile, the latest in a series of launches that have ratcheted up tensions over Pyongyang's quest to develop weapons capable of hitting the United States.

So far North Korea's tests have involved short- and intermediate-range ballistic missiles.

But on Wednesday, after the US test, Pyongyang suggested it was prepared to launch a long-range ballistic missile in the near future.

"We're prepared to test-fire ICBMs anywhere and anytime on orders from the supreme commander (Kim Jong-Un)," the Rodong Sinmun paper said in an article entitled: "No one can stop the nuclear power state, rocketry master in the East."

The paper added: "The United States must know our declaration that we can turn the devils' den into ashes with nuclear weapons is not an empty threat."

Pentagon spokesman Navy Captain Jeff Davis said Tuesday's trial was not timed specifically in response to Pyongyang but that "in a broad sense, North Korea is one of the reasons why we have this capability."

He also pointed to Iran's increasing missile capabilities.

With its interceptor missiles based in California and Alaska, the GMD system remains highly experimental and expensive. Tuesday's test alone cost some $244 million to carry out.

It showed that under certain conditions it can stop a fast-moving, high-altitude single ICBM threat.

But the interceptors would be overwhelmed by a full-scale attack from countries like Russia or China, which could fire dozens of missiles at a time.

MISSILE DEFENSE
US successfully tests ICBM defense system
Washington (AFP) May 30, 2017
The US military said Tuesday it had intercepted a mock-up of an intercontinental ballistic missile in a first-of-its-kind test that comes amid concerns over North Korea's weapons program. A ground-based interceptor launched from Vandenberg Air Force Base in California "successfully intercepted an intercontinental ballistic missile target" fired from the Reagan Test Site in the Marshall Islan ... read more

Related Links
Learn about missile defense at SpaceWar.com
Learn about nuclear weapons doctrine and defense at SpaceWar.com
All about missiles at SpaceWar.com
Learn about the Superpowers of the 21st Century at SpaceWar.com

Thanks for being here;
We need your help. The SpaceDaily news network continues to grow but revenues have never been harder to maintain.

With the rise of Ad Blockers, and Facebook - our traditional revenue sources via quality network advertising continues to decline. And unlike so many other news sites, we don't have a paywall - with those annoying usernames and passwords.

Our news coverage takes time and effort to publish 365 days a year.

If you find our news sites informative and useful then please consider becoming a regular supporter or for now make a one off contribution.

SpaceDaily Contributor
$5 Billed Once
credit card or paypal
SpaceDaily Monthly Supporter
$5 Billed Monthly
paypal only

Let's block ads! (Why?)



from Military Space News, Nuclear Weapons, Missile Defense http://ift.tt/2qDB43l
via space News
As NKorea threat grows, US plans next anti-ICBM test in 2018 As NKorea threat grows, US plans next anti-ICBM test in 2018 Reviewed by Defense Alert on 02:04:00 Rating: 5

2 comments:

  1. Do you need free Instagram Likes?
    Did you know that you can get them AUTOMATICALLY & TOTALLY FREE by registering on Like 4 Like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want your ex-girlfriend or ex-boyfriend to come crawling back to you on their knees (even if they're dating somebody else now) you need to watch this video
    right away...

    (VIDEO) Get your ex back with TEXT messages?

    ReplyDelete

Defense Alert. Powered by Blogger.