Saudi Arabia says new Yemen missile intercepted

Saudi air defences on Sunday intercepted a ballistic missile over the southern city of Jizan after being fired from rebel-held territory in neighbouring Yemen, a Saudi-led military coalition said.

Debris from the missile landed in residential areas of Jizan without causing casualties, the coalition said in a statement released by the official Saudi Press Agency.

Iran-backed Huthi rebels have in recent months ramped up missile attacks against neighbouring Saudi Arabia, which leads a military coalition that has fought the insurgents since 2015.

The attack comes a day after three civilians were killed in Jizan when Huthi rebels fired a "projectile" at the province, according to the coalition.

The strike coincides with the advance of coalition-backed Yemeni forces on the rebel-held Red Sea port of Hodeida, the main conduit for humanitarian supplies into a country teetering on the brink of famine.

In late May, air defences intercepted Huthi missiles over the southern cities of Najran and Jizan, according to the coalition, which said there were no casualties.

Saudi Arabia last month tested a new siren system for the capital Riyadh and the oil-rich Eastern Province, in a sign of the increasing threat posed by the rebels' arms.

Riyadh accuses its regional rival Tehran of supplying the Huthis with ballistic missiles, a charge Iran denies.

Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and other allies intervened in Yemen in 2015 to push back the rebels and restore the internationally-recognised government to power after the Huthis ousted it from swathes of the country including the capital Sanaa.

Nearly 10,000 people have been killed since the alliance launched its intervention in Yemen in March 2015, contributing to what the UN has called the world's worst humanitarian crisis.


Related Links
Learn about missile defense at SpaceWar.com
Learn about nuclear weapons doctrine and defense at SpaceWar.com
All about missiles at SpaceWar.com
Learn about the Superpowers of the 21st Century at SpaceWar.com


Thanks for being here;
We need your help. The SpaceDaily news network continues to grow but revenues have never been harder to maintain.

With the rise of Ad Blockers, and Facebook - our traditional revenue sources via quality network advertising continues to decline. And unlike so many other news sites, we don't have a paywall - with those annoying usernames and passwords.

Our news coverage takes time and effort to publish 365 days a year.

If you find our news sites informative and useful then please consider becoming a regular supporter or for now make a one off contribution.</span>

SpaceDaily Contributor
$5 Billed Once
credit card or paypal
SpaceDaily Monthly Supporter
$5 Billed Monthly
paypal only

MISSILE DEFENSE
Defense Department modifies contract for ballistic missiles
Washington DC (UPI) Jun 08, 2018
The Department of Defense modified a contract with Raytheon for full production of the Standard Missile-6. The modified contract award from Naval Sea Systems Command adjusted the total cumulative value of the deal to more than $44.8 million. The contract enables Raytheon to provide "long-lead material in support of fiscal 2017 Standard Missile-6 full-rate production requirements and spares," according to a Defense Department contract announcement Thursday. The Raytheon-manufactured Stand ... read more

Let's block ads! (Why?)



from Military Space News, Nuclear Weapons, Missile Defense https://ift.tt/2si8PcL
via space News
Saudi Arabia says new Yemen missile intercepted Saudi Arabia says new Yemen missile intercepted Reviewed by Defense Alert on 04:46:00 Rating: 5

No comments:

Defense Alert. Powered by Blogger.