Scrapped drill with S. Korea would have cost $14 mn: Pentagon

When President Donald Trump announced the US would halt joint military drills with South Korea, he backed his controversial move by citing the "tremendous" costs of such exercises.

On Monday, the Pentagon put a dollar amount -- about $14 million -- on the costs of Freedom Guardian, a large-scale joint drill that was to kick off in August but which was shelved after Trump met with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in a historic summit Singapore last month.

"We will be stopping the war games, which will save us a tremendous amount of money, unless and until we see the future negotiation is not going along like it should," Trump said after meeting Kim in a bid to solve the crisis over the North's nuclear weapons.

Trump later added on Twitter that the decision would "save a fortune."

The approximately $14 million is not an insignificant sum, but represents only a tiny portion of the Pentagon's $700 billion budget.

Pentagon spokesman Colonel Rob Manning, who disclosed the figure, did not provide a breakdown of how it was calculated.

Many of the costs associated with conducting large-scale drills are already baked into a military budget, as troops are continually training regardless of whether a formal exercise is underway.

America has about 28,500 troops based in South Korea and they routinely train with their local counterparts.

Freedom Guardian, which was to involve about 17,500 US troops, is usually an annual exercise that lasts two weeks. It is based on a computerized command-and-control drill that Pyongyang considers a highly provocative rehearsal for invasion.

Trump faced a backlash for scrapping the drills, with critics saying he gave in too readily to Kim's request to halt the exercises while getting little in terms of tangible commitments from Pyongyang in return.


Related Links
Learn about nuclear weapons doctrine and defense at SpaceWar.com
Learn about missile defense at SpaceWar.com
All about missiles at SpaceWar.com
Learn about the Superpowers of the 21st Century at SpaceWar.com


Thanks for being here;
We need your help. The SpaceDaily news network continues to grow but revenues have never been harder to maintain.

With the rise of Ad Blockers, and Facebook - our traditional revenue sources via quality network advertising continues to decline. And unlike so many other news sites, we don't have a paywall - with those annoying usernames and passwords.

Our news coverage takes time and effort to publish 365 days a year.

If you find our news sites informative and useful then please consider becoming a regular supporter or for now make a one off contribution.</span>

SpaceDaily Contributor
$5 Billed Once
credit card or paypal
SpaceDaily Monthly Supporter
$5 Billed Monthly
paypal only

NUKEWARS
Pompeo brushes off N.Korea 'gangster' tag, says sanctions to stay
Tokyo (AFP) July 8, 2018
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Sunday shrugged off North Korean accusations of "gangster-like" behaviour and said sanctions on Pyongyang would only be lifted with "final" denuclearisation. Speaking in Tokyo after two days of intense discussions in Pyongyang, Pompeo insisted the talks were making progress and were being conducted in "good faith." In stark contrast, Pyongyang's take was overwhelmingly negative, with the North warning that the future of the peace process was being jeopardised ... read more

Let's block ads! (Why?)



from Military Space News, Nuclear Weapons, Missile Defense https://ift.tt/2uje6So
via space News
Scrapped drill with S. Korea would have cost $14 mn: Pentagon Scrapped drill with S. Korea would have cost $14 mn: Pentagon Reviewed by Defense Alert on 00:31:00 Rating: 5

No comments:

Defense Alert. Powered by Blogger.